Monday, March 13, 2017

2,000 Miles - All Smiles

So, on my commute to work this morning, I surpassed 2,000 miles for the year.  For some of you, this may not be a big deal.  For me, it is pretty huge.  I already have more than 600 more miles than I did at this point last year.  I have racked up six metric centuries, four of which were on gravel.  I hit an all time monthly mileage high for January and then surpassed it in February.  I feel GOOD.

Even though we have had a relatively mild winter, the cold and the wind came back with full force this past weekend.  The weekend that I had an 80 mile training ride planned.  I had several people commit to riding at least part of the way with me, so I dragged myself out of bed early Saturday morning and checked the temperature outside.  It was 22F degrees at my house, which means that it was even colder in Leesburg at the ride start.  The forecast did not indicate it would warm up much and it was going to be quite breezy.

What to wear? What to wear?  This winter has left me forgetting how to dress for long cold rides.  But, I planned appropriately and was fairly comfortable most of the day.

The few, the proud, the cold.
Photo courtesy of Laurie Johnson
In addition, I had been noticing some pretty significant mid back and shoulder pain while wearing a standard hydration pack.  I know that I will need more than two bottles for Kanza and drinking out of a pack is so much easier on gravel than bottles.  So I needed a solution. Luckily for me, I went out to Stokesville, Virginia the previous weekend for Shenandoah Mountain Touring's 60/40 race with Team Bikenetic (I ended up doing a jeep road "gravel" ride instead of the trail ride...  Because Kanza).  Two awesome bike friends had just purchased "fanny" packs and rode with them and RAVED about them.  I was intrigued.  I talked to another friend who rode with a different type of "fanny" pack and she also really liked it.

So I spent three days researching and ended up ordering one.  I ended up with Source's Hipster pack, which is the same one that Chris and Libby had at the Stokesville 60/40.  I was a little skeptical about how it would fit as I am fairly tiny and it is unisex, but it worked out well and I still had about six inches of belt left to tighten if needed.  It felt great on the hips empty, but I was a little worried about how it would feel with 50 ounces of water balanced on my butt.  I probably should have tried it out before starting an 80 mile ride, but...

Unfortunately, no one got a photo of me from the rear (Crandle, where were you when I needed you?!), so I do not have a great photo of the pack on.  But, because I like posting photos, here is the only one where you can kind of see the pack:

In the end, there were only three.
Photo courtesy of Jan Feuchtner 
When I first got on the bike, it was a little weird having this thing hanging off my butt.  But once I remembered it was there, getting on and off the bike was fine.  Sitting and pedaling, I barely noticed it was there.  It was SO much better than wearing a standard pack.  Standing up felt a little weird because I could feel the water sloshing, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It was pretty amazing not having a super sweaty back (or back/shoulder pain), especially when we stopped for snacks.  The only issue I had was trying to put away the hydration hose once I was finished drinking. I suspect this is just because it was my first time using it, and I need to learn where the little magnetic clip is on the belt.

There was plenty of storage for extra CO2 cartridges, snacks, and my wallet.  I probably could have even fit an extra tube in there if needed.  And while I bought this for use with the drop bar gravel bike, I can definitely see me using it for mountain bike rides, too.  I am curious to know how well it stays in place going over some large obstacles and drops.  

So, I DEFINITELY recommend the Hipster for long gravel rides where you need more than two bottles but hate wearing a pack.  I will probably post an actual review at some point after I have used it more than once and have done some rough single track rides with it (and have more photos!).

Anyway, the ride itself was great.  The temperature had risen to about 27F degrees at the start and there were some snow showers.  All in all, a "lovely" way to start the ride.  As soon as we left the parking lot, the wind smacked us right in the face.  I seriously thought my sinuses were going to freeze solid right then and there.  Luckily, the first three miles or so of the route had us climbing up Old Waterford Road.  So we warmed up pretty quickly.

Most everyone in the group decided to peel off for the shorter route (42 miles versus 81) since it was so cold and windy.  Five of us (Chris, Jan, Maureen, Tony, and myself) forged on.  We skipped a water stop in Round Hill at about mile 30, since everyone was still good on water and the normal routes have us in Philomont in about 10 more miles.  I had forgotten that I had added some extra miles to this route, since it was originally only supposed to be 70ish.  So, we ended up doing 20 more miles before hitting Philomont.

We stopped and a couple of the guys went in and grabbed some snacks, but everyone was still doing pretty good on water, and the ford crossing was coming up soon and we wanted to head out.  So it was a five minute stop there to shove some snacks in our faces before we headed down Jeb Stuart Road to Beaverdam Creek.  This is my favourite part of these rides, especially if I am with people who have never forded the creek before.  I was a little behind the three guys (who had never crossed the ford) and stopped a little farther up the road and watched them for a second try and figure out how to cross the creek.

For those that have never seen it, here is a picture from June (keep in mind I am 5'9" and have long legs):

A nice cool dip in the Beaverdam Creek Ford.
Photo courtesy of Pete Beers
It was probably a few inches less deep in this spot since we have had such a dry winter, but it was not yet above freezing at this point in the ride.  I did not say anything, just made my way up the bank while they kept looking at the creek.  There is a nice shallow section that you have to drop down to get to, but as long as there are at least two people, it is pretty easy.  I laid my bike down and hopped down and waited for the guys and Maureen to catch on.  They came over, handed me my bike, and we started the process of getting bikes and people down the bank.  

They were totally conferring about how much of a genius I am.
The water in this section was pretty shallow, maybe 4 inches deep.  

Jan got to be the guinea pig and go first.
It was an easy ride across and most everyone's feet stayed dry.  Tony may have ridden a little too far to the left and put his foot down in the water.  Whoops.

Water is a little deeper on that side.  Sorry, Tony!
Everyone made it across with ease and Maureen has now agreed that she should buy a mountain bike.  YAY!

She says, "Nothing to it!"
Luckily, Jan grabbed a photo of me coming across to join the rest of the group. 
 
"Donotfalldonotfalldonotfall...  Everyone is watching!"
Ten miles later, we stopped in Middleburg for water/snacks.  Chris and Tony ended up at a coffee shop down the street and Jan, Maureen, and I ended up at Middleburg Deli.  It was warm, the food was delicious (and much needed), and they had a bathroom.  The only other thing I could have asked for was beer.

At this point, we had thawed out and had 20 miles to go.  I felt surprisingly good, especially after an egg salad sandwich and some juice.  We hit the road with good spirits and full-ish bellies.  

We ended up on Hogback Mountain Road, which I keep meaning to avoid on Saturdays, but fail miserably because it is such a lovely climb. There is a huge "fancy" winery at the top that creates a lot of traffic on the climb. The road is wide enough, but on a dry day, that much traffic creates a LOT of dust.  Plus, some of them are coming FROM the winery, so could potentially be intoxicated.

We finally passed by Zephaniah Winery (owned by a teammate's family) after several "Oh!  I think this is the road to Zephaniah!" cries by me.  Whoops.  It was getting pretty late, so we did not stop, but waved to the barn as we rode by.  At this point, we had about four miles to go and we were getting hungry again.  Frozen shot blocks do NOT count as a full meal, by the way.  

As we came back into Leesburg, the wind met us head on again, which was a fitting way to end the ride.  We landed back in the parking lot at Rust Library right at 5:00.  Perfect timing. Jan, Maureen, and I ended up at Loudoun Brewing Company to rehydrate and eat some greasy Pizza Hut carry out since Fireworks Pizza had a 45 minute wait.  We ran into Crandle there and hung out with him for a bit.  

Beer and Pizza.  No better way to end the day!
Reflecting on the ride now, I felt great and could not have asked for a better support team. So a huge thanks to those that came out and brave the cold and the wind! 

Things that went right:
Clothing - My clothing choice was just about perfect.  My hands were a little cold, but I honestly think it was because my gloves were too think under the Bar Mitts.
Bike - The bike felt great.  Thanks Salsa!
Contact Points - Chamois Butt'r for the win. Hands felt great.  Feet were fine.
Nutrition - I felt great, but I probably should have eaten more on the road.
Hydration - Also felt great, but I only went through the equivalent of 2.5 bottles and a bottle of juice.  
Battery Power - I had my Garmin plugged in the whole time with routing and live track. Ended with 100% power on the Garmin and more than 70% power on the battery backup.  I think I will only need three for DK200.  Two for my Garmin and one for phone/lights.

Things that could be improved:
Nutrition and Hydration - Obviously.  I am getting better, but still need to dial this in.
Pacing - I would like to be faster.  But, at an average moving speed of 12.4 mph in below freezing temperatures with 20+mph winds...  I will take it.  
Pedals - I think it might (SOB) be time to replace my beloved Time Atac Alium pedals.  They are getting increasingly difficult to get in and out of.
Descents - I am still breaking a little more than I would like to.  I have been trying to pedal through the downhills to refrain from braking, which is helping.  But...  I still freak out a bit with the drop bars.  I think doing a ride when it is warmer and without Bar Mitts may help, since I will be able to get in the drops and modulate the braking a little better.

Gear List
Bike:
Bike - Salsa Warbird, SRAM Rival
Bar Tape - SupaCaz
Bar Mitts - Bar Mitts for internally routed cables
Pedals - Time Atac Alium
Saddle - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
Tires - Maxxis Rambler 40mm

Clothing:
Shoes - Giro Alipineduro
Gloves - Gore Windstopper
Chamois - Shebeast (blue chamois)
Base layer - Underarmour Cold Weather
Outer layer - Zoic Knickers
Base layer (top) - Smartwool mid-weight
Outer layer (top) - Gore Windstopper
Neck - Turtle Fur Gaiter
Head - Buff & Bikenetic Cap
Helmet - Lazer Pink

Etc:
Source Hipster hydration pack
Garmin Edge 520
Anker PowerCore 5000 battery back up

Huge thanks, as always, to Pete and Jan (and everyone else) at Bikenetic Falls Church for everything they do to keep me motivated and rolling!  You people are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment