Wednesday, May 24, 2017

April Recap! (Part 1)

Wow, it has been a while since I have had a moment of peace to sit down and put thoughts on "paper".  So much has happened in the past two months!

On April 1st, I decided to try my hand at my very first randonneuring event.  What better way to train for Dirty Kanza than to do a VERY climby 200k on April Fool's Day?!  The day started out cool and overcast, which was a good thing.  I started out riding with my friend Amy, who helped me keep my pace steady over the first 50 miles or so.  After a mechanical, Steve and Jenny (who are also racing DK200) caught up with us.  We rode together for the rest of the day.  Being as it was on pavement, it was a lot easier than I was expecting, and I generally felt great until about mile 110.  Luckily, I think I was just bonking, because once we got to the last check point at about mile 117, I shoved some chips and juice in my face and was easily able to crank out the last 20 miles.  The final tally for the day: 127 miles with approximately 11,000 feet of elevation gain.
Jenny, myself, and Steve after finishing the Old Rag 200k Brevet
On April 2nd (yes, the day after my first 200k), a pretty big contingent of Team Bikenetic folks rode up to Marysville, PA to take part in THE International Intergalactic Global Open Mountain Bike Team Relay Championship of the Multi-Frigging-Verse (IIGO Relay for short). Most of us partnered up (with one exception, that would be George) as part of a duo team for the race.
Team Empty Legs = Full Beers, post race
Since both myself and another DK200 racer, Matt, were planning on long rides the day before, we teamed up as Team Empty Legs = Full Beers.  Our race plan was to a) not die and b) have a beer between every lap.  We succeeded!

Our superheros! 
There were so many fun costumes, and dynamic duo Arden and Helen came away with the top costume prize for their awesome superhero getup!

Yeeeeeeah...  We are adorable.  Especially Jan!
Needless to say, it was an amazing day.  Exactly what I needed to recover from the 200k the day before.  Whoever said mountain bike racing (while drinking lots of beer) is a terrible recovery idea is an idiot!  

Team Bikenetic brings the party!

The next weekend, was a scheduled training ride for a gravel imperial century.  I had four others that wanted to suffer just as much as myself, including Maureen (also doing DK200). I had spent a few days pondering over the route, and honestly, I think I did a great job. Although, there might have been a wee bit more elevation than I had originally planned, but at the end of the ride, everyone seemed to be in great spirits.

Of course, Nathaniel got a flat on this gorgeous stretch of gravel.  Luckily, it was just about snack break time, so we enjoyed the five minutes of sun and no wind while he repaired the tire.
Blue sky for DAYS!
The water ford on Jeb Stuart was a bit higher than I anticipated, and even the low water section was about a foot deep.

A little deeper than normal, but quite refreshing!
We decided to be safe and crossed on foot.  The water was COLD but at mile 50 of the ride, quite refreshing on our feet.


After drying our feet and putting socks and shoes back on.
I honestly am not sure I could have asked for a more brilliant day to spend on bikes.  The sky was cloudless and the breeze was "just" right for a DK200 training ride.  Everything was budding out.  It was just gorgeous.

Seriously, look at that meadow!
We stopped for a late lunch in Middleburg at about mile 60.  We were all quite enamoured with this therapy horse in training that was hanging out.  She had a ton of personality and was really sweet.  

Lil' Sebastian!

I routed the end of the ride to go through Bluemont so I could get a whoopie pie.  I am actually really excited for training to be over so that I can route ALL of my rides for food and beer.  At mile 80, I decided to only eat half of it and save the rest for later.  It was a good choice and this last stop had us all feeling pretty good for the last 25 miles back into Leesburg.

BIG smile.  YUM!
On the way back into Leesburg, I got assaulted by a bumble bee.  He left the most adorable ass print on my sleeve.  

Bumble bee "ass" print!

After the ride, we all ended up at Crooked Run brewing and ordered Pizza Hut.  Greasy pizza never tasted so good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment